Give me your eyes, I need sunshine

Processed with VSCOcam with n3 presetFor a little while I felt like I had lost myself with taking my outfit photos, specifically when it came to taking outdoor shots. It started to become an okay let’s just get this done situation (probably because it’s been so cold), and I really started to feel like the quality of my images had suffered, and ultimately, didn’t feel like me. For one reason or another – and I think I have said this before – the actual feeling and artistry of the images I share is just as important to me as showcasing the outfit, maybe even more so. I mean, I’m not saying I’m making waves in the blogging world or even producing the best possible photographs (I’m still a newbie) or doing something that different or new, but it’s incredibly important to me to stay true to who I am. I’ll probably never be one of those bloggers that enjoys taking my outfit photos in front of a solid backdrop, which is strange, because some of my favorite bloggers do just that and I love it. I think it all comes down to my personality type, I have a hard time letting anything just be simple. Everything I do, in all aspects of my life, needs to feel important, and full of passion and creativity, and I am almost never satisfied (and clearly I am incredibly dramatic. get over yourself Alex!). I guess it goes without saying (but I will say it) that my brain (and my life, to be honest) has been in a tumultuous state of sorts lately. But taking these photographs and being able to share them with you feels incredibly therapeutic because these images feel the most like me out of any photographs I have taken in a long while. They remind me that even if my world feels like it’s falling apart, I can create something beautiful all by myself that makes me feel good, and it’s as simple as that.

Processed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with n3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetBlouse: vintage via Public Butter
Skirt: vintage via Common Sort
Tights: old pair of ballet tights
Boots: Samantha Pleet x Wolverine

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Give me your eyes, I need sunshine

1. shelovesdresses says:

I totally understand the need to feel like you are being true to yourself in all aspects of life, including your blog. Your blog is a representation of your passions and personality and character, all things that INFJ’s hold in high regard. It’s hard to feel like the images you are putting out there are not top shelf quality and a true likening of the world you imagine in your head. I feel much more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it, but started my Instagram account and blog has been a way for me to talk about Asian American issues and ultimately is my biggest platform for intersectional feminism. My husband, who is not a photographer, takes the majority of my photos and it took me a REALLY long time to be okay with the images not looking like EXACTLY how I want them to look. On days when I choose to give into it, I’m ripping my blog and my IG apart because I know I could produce better images if I were on the photographer side, but I don’t have the time or means to devote to self-timer and tripod clicker marathon shoots so for now, this is what works best for me. I chose to prioritize the quantity of content and growing my following through collaborations and networking and I’m happy with that for now. 🙂

For my two cents, I think your blog is beautiful and all of your outfits are pieced together perfectly. I can tell that a lot of care and time and love goes into each of your thoughtful posts. 🙂

• Larkspur Vintage says:

Thank you so much for always being so kind, and for always opening up a thoughtful conversation. I totally understand how much easier it is to have someone take your images for you. It saves so much time. My ex boyfriend used to take the majority of my images, and just like you said, it was soooo hard for me to be okay with the fact that the images would never turn out the way I wanted. He was also not a photographer, but just wanted to genuinely help me which I appreciated immensely. But after awhile I starting playing around with taking my own images because I just felt this desire to see what I could do myself. And now taking my own photos has become an integral part of what I do. I do occasionally have my bf or friends help me, but I much prefer to do it myself, even if it means it takes more time out of my day and means I can do it less often than I’d like. But the whole process of shooting for my blog is cathartic for me – finding a location, and taking my time thinking out how I want things to look, and just the silence that comes with the whole experience. I really truly enjoy having total artistic control over this space. It scares me to have to rely on another person because my more pessimistic side believes that things could change at any given time, and I’d hate to feel like I cannot continue to do what I do here without the help of another person. Probably not the best way to think about things, but it’s just the way I am.

I think what you are doing is amazing. You have a mission and are doing it in such an interesting and unique way, it’s no wonder people have taken to you so quickly. You should be very proud 🙂 I think it is absolutely wonderful. And for my two cents, I think your husband does a great job taking your photos. They are always so aesthetically pleasing and you are an exceptionally beautiful woman, and your light shines through in all your images.

2. Lucy in the Sky says:

I think your photos are always beautiful and creative and I love your attitude and passion towards them. I think it is so important to have some sort of medium through which one can take complete ownership of and create true reflections of themselves from it. The concept of that to me is just beautiful and enriching for the soul.

• Larkspur Vintage says:

Awww! Thank you so much! Really and truly! It is very important to me to have total control over this space, it’s something I’ve always strived for, even if it means a lot more work for me. I think a lot of bloggers feel that way, unless they are lucky enough to have a photographer friend/partner who is willing to do that side of things for them, but even if that was my situation, I’m unsure how fulfilled I’d feel if I wasn’t the one taking the photos and envisioning everything.
      Anyways, I think we are quite like-minded and I always love reading your comments. Thank you as always for being a positive and wonderful person xo

3. Mariah Alysz (@RyaPie) says:

I know exactly what you mean about your photography! In the winter, when I hurry through my shoots, I just feel let down and uninspired when I actually look back at my photos and prepare to post them. It is definitely equally about photo quality and outfit showcasing for me.
    And on that note, I love these shots! They are beautiful and your outfit matches your surroundings perfectly!
    ❤ Mariah Alysz
    Rya Pie

• Larkspur Vintage says:

YES! Exactly! I love clothing and style, but I love photography just as much, and modelling for that matter. and yes about shooting in winter – sometimes I look at the photos and am just like “gah!” this is not what I had envisioned! But it’s so hard in the winter. You do really have to rush so you don’t become too cold. I’ve definitely had experiences with close to or mild frost bite and really, is a photo worth that!? Probably not! haha! I always just try to plan ahead and make sure the day I’m shooting on isnt too cold, and if it is, then indoor photos it is.
      Thank you for being so sweet and for commenting! You’re a doll! xo

4. Jamie Rose (Petite Panoply) says:

I enjoy all sorts of style blogs and the photography that goes along with them. More elaborate shoots like yours are gorgeous but I also like the simplicity of showcasing the outfit only. They’re both effective! You just do whatever makes you happiest. I enjoy looking at your gorgeous photos and pretty outfits. This ruffled blouse looks perfect paired with the plaid skirt.

• Larkspur Vintage says:

Yep, I totally feel you on that. Like I was saying, I’m the same way, I enjoy all styles of fashion blogs – simple, elaborate…it doesn’t matter to me. But I guess I was just talking about what is important to me when it comes to my blog.
      Thank you for your kind words as always! You are a sweet heart xo